Travel to Madison, WI
Madison’s Dane County Airport, https://www.msnairport.com/
The airport is fairly small and easy to get around. There is no shuttle to campus or Lowell Center – however, there are a number of taxi companies serving the airport. Many cabs will be parked outside the baggage claim area. Cab fare for a single occupant should be a little less than $20 from the airport to Lowell Center.
Taxi companies (all are available 24/7):
- Green cab (608) 255-1234 https://www.greencabofmadison.com/ ($20-25 for 1 to 4 passengers)
- Madison Taxi (608) 255-8294 http://www.madtaxi.com/ ($20 – 22 for 1 to 4 passengers)
- Union Cab (608) 242-2000 http://www.unioncab.coop/ ($22-25 for 1 to 4 passengers)
- Badger Cab (608) 256-5566 http://www.badgercab.com/ (Zone cab – $18-20 for 1 to 4 passengers)
Depending on your budget and the time you have for travel, you can also fly into either:
- Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport (http://www.mitchellairport.com/) and take Badger Coaches (https://www.badgerbus.com/default.aspx) outside of baggage claim door #2 to Madison (approx. 2 hr and $23 round trip)
- Chicago’s O’Hare airport (http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/en/home/Pages/default.aspx) and take the Van Galder Bus (http://www.coachusa.com/vangalder/ss.tickets.asp) from O’Hare to Madison (approx. 3 hr and $60 round trip)
Both buses drop off a block or two from Chadbourne Hall, our conference residence hall.
Travel around Madison
UW Madison Interactive Campus Map: http://www.map.wisc.edu/
Note: When we indicate numbers of blocks, we’re talking Wisconsin blocks (12 to 16 per mile) not New York City blocks (7 per mile). So all of the planned events should be within walking distance.
Map of ABLE 2017 Conference Locations: ABLE 2017 Conference Locations
Shops, Dining, Etc.
- East Campus Mall – University Square shops: Bordering University Ave, N Lake St and W Johnson St – includes a bank, Walgreens, a grocery store and more – http://www.usquaremadison.com/stores/
- Monroe Street Shops: Over a mile of locally-owned restaurants, specialty shops and businesses, surrounded by a historic neighborhood. Conveniently located near UW-Madison’s Camp Randall Stadium. The corner of Monroe and Regent Streets where the shops begin is about 5 blocks from Noland Hall. http://www.monroestreetmadison.com/
- State Street Shops: http://www.state-st.com/ State Street is about 7 blocks long and contains many shops, the University Book Store and many restaurants and coffee shops. It is about 4 blocks from Noland Hall and just outside the door of Chadbourne Hall.
There are over 800 restaurants in Madison of all kinds. The following is an assortment of mostly local restaurants within walking distance of the UW Campus.
Local Restaurants on or near State Street
- Sunroom Café – eclectic with many vegetarian and vegan choices – second floor 638 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.sunroomcafe.com/Pages/default.aspx
- Porta Bella – Italian – just a block off State St at 425 N Frances St, Madison, WI 53715 http://www.portabellarestaurant.biz/
- Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry – Burgers and more – between Johnson and University Ave at 317 N Frances St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.dottydumplingsdowry.com/
- Kabul – Afghan/Middle Eastern – 540 State St, 2nd Floor, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.kabulmadison.com/
- Wasabi – Japanese and sushi bar – 449 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://wasabi-madison.com/home
- Mirch Masala – 449 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – Indian
- Dragon I – 422 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – Asian Fusion
- Himal Chuli Restaurant, 318 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – Nepalese
- Crandall’s Peruvian Restaurant – 334 State St, Madison, WI 53703
- Icon – tapas bar – Mediterranean small plate – 206 State St, Madison, WI 53703
- Nick’s Restaurant – Greek and American – 1959 style – 226 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.nicksrestaurantmadison.com/
- Fresco – Roof top higher end dining – contemporary cuisine – 227 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://frescomadison.com/
- Wisconsin Brewing Tap House and Restaurant – 107 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://wisconsinbrewingtaphaus.com/
- Buck and Badger Northwoods Lodge – 115 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.buckandbadger.com/
- Plaza Tavern – Old time bar and grill – Home of the famous Plaza burger – Off State at 319 N Henry St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.theplazatavern.com/
- Cento Ristorante – Italian pizza and many more complex dishes – just off State at 122 W Mifflin St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.centomadison.com/
- Fugu – Asian fusion – just off State at 411 W Gilman St, Madison, WI 53703 http://www.fuguasian.com/
The State Capitol sits on the Square at the other end of State Street (7 blocks from Chadbourne Hall)
Local Restaurants on or just off the Capitol Square
- Cooper’s Tavern – craft beer and rustic food – left off State St onto square at 20 W Mifflin St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://thecooperstavern.com/
- Rare – Steak, seafood, flaming desserts, great wine cellar – 14 W Mifflin St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://madison.raresteakandseafood.com/
- Graze – Locally sourced food – gastropub on the square – 1 S Pinckney St #107, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.grazemadison.com/
- The Old Fashioned – American tavern/supper club famous for fried cheese curds – opposite side of the square at 23 N Pinckney St #1, Madison, WI 53703 http://www.theoldfashioned.com/
- Harvest – Local and organic, farm to table – 21 N Pinckney St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.harvest-restaurant.com/about_harvest.php
- L’Etoile – Local and organic, farm to table – 1 S Pinckney St #107, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.letoile-restaurant.com/
- Brocach Irish Pub and Whisky Den – need we say more – 7 W Main St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.brocach.com/
- Great Dane Pub and Brewery – 123 E Doty St, Madison, WI 53703 – https://www.greatdanepub.com/
- Restaurant Muramoto – sushi and sashimi – 225 King St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.restaurantmuramoto.com/index.html
Local Restaurants near Noland Hall and Union South
- Steenbock’s on Orchard – farm to table local seasonal ingredients – in the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery Bldg. – http://www.steenbocksonorchard.com/
- Hong Kong Café – Good and reasonably priced on Mills and Regent St at 2 S Mills St, Madison, WI 53715-1308
- Jordan’s Big 10 Pub – Football themed – Good food and full bar – 1330 Regent St, Madison, WI 53715 – http://jordansbig10pub.squarespace.com/
- Nitty Gritty – Home of the Gritty Burger – take Johnson east to Frances Street – http://www.thegritty.com/
- Bassett Street Brunch Club – 444 W Johnson St, Madison, WI 53703 – Brunch plus lunch and dinner menus and cocktails- http://brunchclubmadison.com/
Not as Local Restaurants just off State Street
- HopCat – wide variety of bar food and 130 craft beers on tap – off State St at 222 W Gorham St, Madison, WI 53703 – http://www.hopcat.com/about/madison
- Ian’s Pizza – classic to gourmet pizza, salads, desserts with vegan options – 100 State St, Madison, WI 53703 – https://ianspizza.com/
Major Chain Restaurants: There are also a wide variety of chain restaurants and coffee shops on State Street and the capitol square.
Union South and the Memorial Union (on Lake Mendota) both contain a variety of eateries, ice cream shops, wine and beer.
Wine, Beer and Spirits stores
- Badger Liquor, 402 State St, Madison, WI 53703
- Regent Street Liquor, 916 Regent St – Madison, WI 53715 http://www.regentliquor.com/
- Riley’s Wines of the World, 402 West Gorham Street, Madison, WI 53703 http://rileyswines.com/
- Barriques, 1825 Monroe St. Madison, 53715 http://www.barriquesmarket.com/our-cafes/monroe-st/